PRNewswire/ -- Mississippi is the state where your dollar will last the longest amount of time in retirement, while Hawaii is the state where your dollar will last the shortest, a new study found. It’s a common refrain that retirees should save at least $1 million for retirement, but how much does where they live affect their saving needs?
Personal finance website GOBankingRates found the average total annual expenses for people 65 and older (adding up groceries, housing, utilities, transportation and healthcare costs), then determined the state-specific yearly cost by multiplying total expenses by each state's cost of living index.
For full study results and more details on methodology, visit: How Long $1 Million Will Last in Retirement in Every State
Top 5 States Where Your Dollar Will Last the Longest
1. Mississippi $1 million will last: 26 years, 4 months
2. Arkansas $1 million will last: 25 years, 6 months
3. Oklahoma $1 million will last: 25 years, 2 months
4. Michigan $1 million will last: 25 years
5. Tennessee $1 million will last: 25 years